Del Monte Pacific Ltd. is passionate about cultivating good food that brings health and nutrition to our consumers. As one of the most well-known and well-trusted brands in the market, we are committed to maintaining this trust.
We produce food products that go through comprehensive quality and safety procedures to provide premium products which meet the strictest food standards. Our goal is to nourish consumers. The Group ensures that consumers understand our commitment to conform to food safety standards and regulatory requirements through our food safety management system. DMPL facilities have quality certifications which attest to the quality and safety of our products. Our toll manufacturers likewise adhere to the same commitment in delivering our products to the market.
Product Quality and Safety
The Group ensures that consumers understand our commitment to conform to food safety standards and regulatory requirements through our food safety management system. DMPL facilities have quality certifications which attest to the quality and safety of our products. Our toll manufacturers likewise adhere to the same commitment in delivering our products to the market.
The requirements for our products worldwide, Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) and Food Safety Systems Certification (FSSC), incorporate key systems – International Standards Organisation (ISO), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards into a single system.
- Del Monte Foods, Inc. (DMFI) designed and deployed to each of its facilities a multilayered quality system protocol that begins with its executive leadership to provide proper guidance and direction. This is further supported by our manufacturing site procedures.
- Facilities in the U.S. received A or AA rating from the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) audit. There were no major issues in the audits of the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and GFSI. All minor issues were addressed and corrective actions were accepted by BRC.
- Del Monte conducts extensive Risk Assessment/Hazard Analysis and incorporates actions to assure that the products and ingredients meet the highest standards prior to market launch.
- The Quality Policy of Del Monte Philippines, Inc. (DMPI) is committed to Total Customer Satisfaction in providing food products that meet the highest global standards in quality, food safety, hygiene, and service.
- The Company has a Quality Management and Food Safety System in place that ensures the quality and safety of our products. Manufacturing programs have been established to mitigate hazards that may affect this, as well as, periodic assessments facilitated by third party certification agencies.
- The Company undergoes certification and customer audits, and findings, if any, are acted upon immediately. It also ensures the Company’s processes meet or exceed these standards.
- DMPI facilities underwent 24 certification audits and 8 customer audits conducted by reputable independent international auditors, business partners, and customers.
- Audit results confirm that our processes meet or exceed standards for the supply of food products to certain countries. The audit results confirm the Company’s commitment to quality and food safety from farm to fork.
- Each facility has their own Business Continuity Plans (BCPs) and Emergency Response teams and procedures to ensure they continue to operate and mitigate product, environmental and workplace risks. The BCPs are tested periodically as part of the employees’ training on crisis management.
- The Toll Manufacturers’ Quality Management Programs that ensures toll manufacturers are aligned with the Company’s safety and quality standards using a standard scorecard and key performance indicators. The relevant managers oversee their operations.
- Toll manufacturers are required to have FSSC 22000, BRC, and HACCP certifications. Five of six toll manufacturers have one of these quality certifications.
- One of the major Key Performance Indicators of our toll manufacturers is the annual improvement of their Quality Scorecards.
- DMPI regularly audits its toll manufacturers in compliance with its GMP, HACCP, and Good Laboratory Practices standards. All toll manufacturing facilities complied with these standards and are verified by internal and external audits.
- Our Toll Pack team strives to reduce consumer complaints by involving our toll manufacturers in the resolution of issues and improvement of our processes to eliminate sources of defects and potential complaints.
- Facility managers of Toll Manufacturing facilities exporting to the U.S. have PCQI certificates.
Del Monte is a well-trusted brand committed to health and nutrition. We aspire to preserve this trust among consumers.
A leader in meeting consumer preferences, we understand that consumers are becoming increasingly mindful of the ingredients in their food and are often looking for positive health properties such as low-fat or lowsugar. This emphasis on health benefits has ongoing implications for product design and sourcing.
Del Monte Foods R&D Team
- In the U.S., Del Monte was the first major food producer to voluntarily adopt nutritional labeling on all food products.
- The vast majority of our products contain positive nutrients and are considered healthy.
- We aim to provide at least half a cup of fruits or vegetables per serving for most of our products in the U.S., and meet healthy nutrient levels as recommended by the FDA. The majority of our produce are picked and packed on the same day, ensuring 97% preservative-free produce.
- Majority of our products in the U.S. are low in fat. We carry several specialized product lines: organic, no sugar added, low-salt, reduced-salt, and low in calories for those seeking additional health benefits or following specific dietary regimes.
- Within its existing categories, DMFI has a significant set of No-SugarAdded fruit products, and NoSalt-Added and Reduced-Sodium vegetable products relative to other branded players.
- All added ingredients in Del Monte vegetables, single-serve fruit snacks, corn and most tomato products have been non-genetically modified organisms (non-GMO), representing a majority of the Company’s product line. Del Monte was the first manufacturer to work with the USDA for non-GMO verification for corn products for consumer assurance on sweet corn products.
- In the U.S., we verify non-GMO ingredients from suppliers and source replacement non-GMO ingredients where necessary. All non-GMO products meet current industry requirements for non-GMO claim.
- In Asia, we anchor our nutrition platforms on immunity, heart and bone health, which give support to the immune system and promote healthy digestion.
- The Company’s products are mostly plant-based. Pineapples are rich in vitamins and minerals that boost immunity, while tomato products have lycopene, an antioxidant that helps prevent certain diseases.
Our Group understands the need to have a sustainable packaging to preserve the environment.
We target to innovate our packaging towards responsible stewardship of the environment while maintaining the quality and safety of our products. This motivates us to rework our product packaging in a more environment-friendly manner.
- The R&D teams at DMFI worked with our packaging suppliers to test compostable bioplastics in a laboratory setting. We are also working on developing a plastic fruit cup that incorporates post-consumer recycled content within the interior layers.
- Polyester material is the alternative lining material for our vegetable and fruit products while vinyl is the alternative used for our tomato cans. The linings meet the requirements of California’s Prop. 65, ensuring they do not contain phthalates or BPA and comply with all FDA and European Food Safety Authority standards.
The coating components are also compliant with the United States Environmental Protection Agency and Regulation for Registration, Evaluation, Authorization, and Restriction of Chemicals.
- We have converted 100% of our branded tomato products and nearly 100% of our branded fruit and vegetable products to nonBPA lining in the U.S.
- In the Philippines, all packaging materials in the cannery and toll packers are 100% BPA-Non Intent.
- We also innovated our packaging to make it more convenient for consumers. Our juices come in resealable one-liter cartons.
To ensure that our products are safe, we have a robust traceability program allowing us to protect our consumers’ health during unwarranted events by identifying the origin of the product from its production to the retailer. This equips us to efficiently handle consumer inquiries. Having a reliable traceability program enables the Group to have an effective process to identify a defective product or component and to execute the recall process if warranted.
- The Group conducts periodic quality audits with our comanufacturers to ensure compliance with our standards.
- We abide by the Federal food safety requirements by maintaining a product traceability program that allows us to track products shipped to our customers.
- The traceability program is frequently tested and results are used to drive continuous process improvements.
- We have significantly enhanced our traceability program by using electronic tracking to allow faster and more accurate product traceability.
- Del Monte also maintains records that allow the Company to determine the source of the ingredients used in its products.
- In the Philippines, our facilities and toll manufacturers comply with the standards of the Brand Reputation Compliance Global Standards to trace products from its production date.
- DMPI conducts traceability exercises and can complete its production lots identification that covers from raw manufacturing to the packaging process.
- DMPI conducts training for employees in handling issues related to product recalls, complaints and safety.
- Traceability assessment is conducted during certification and customer audits of our facility and our toll manufacturers.